Monday, July 22, 2013

KISP Grade 9 class

The last semester of KISP gave me the chance to be a sub-adviser of Grade 9. I found it as an opportunity to connect more with my Korean students, as that’s what homeroom periods are supposed to be, and it was a chance for my students to get to know me better as my brave students in the past would attest that I am a lot kinder most times than during Math class.  J 

However, the directive was clear: all sub-homeroom advisers are to monitor the students for the first ten minutes while the class is doing independent study. So, being a sub-homeroom adviser gave not much opportunity for us to interact. I came to class to enforce the directive while I made additional teaching materials for my grade school classes. A few times, I had asked help from students who did not seem to be in the mood for independent study. We, teachers catch these moments and take it as a chance to connect with the student.

And so I was quite surprised that during my last day with the Grade 9 class, they gave me letters and so much more. Thanks too to Ms. Han Haejin, the Grade 9 homeroom adviser.

I am sharing the letter they gave me:


It comes with a bag full of surprises:

The class was only half in number as most have gone back to Korea for summer vacation.
I did not have the chance to thank them one by one, so here are quick few words from me:

To Kim Da Eun (Angela): You have the most organized solution I have ever seen from a Korean. Do not lose lose that trait. It may come in handy during difficult times.

To Kim Doyeon (Wayne) : You are exceptionally good in Math. You solve fast, but remember that there are times when the end is NOT the all. Savor each moment.

To Kim Minsoo (Jack) : You did great as a class president this year. Be proud of that because to be a great leader, you should also be a great follower.

To Kim Bumki (Tim) : You are good in Math. Your perseverance and patience help you achieve your goals.

To Kim Joohyun (Gerald) : You have a good soul. Believe in that and you become a better man.

To Roh Sung Yop (Fruit) : You are worth the help of a teacher. Do not bring yourself down. When a teacher believes you can do things, believe in yourself too, and great things will happen.

To Park Sung Jin (SJ) : You have ideas that need to be shared. You have a voice that need to be heard. Participate more and you can reach greater heights.

To Park Jungwon (Sandy) : You are a strong woman. Strength is most admired when it is controlled. You are loveable most when you do not hide behind your physical strength.

To Park Jun Sik (Jun) : You have the nicest smile. It brings the class good spirit, but it brightens the teacher’s day most when the smile is not out of mischief. J 

To Yang Hoseong (Max) : Your English name is destined for greatness. It is meant to reach your highest potential. Persevere and you will give your name justice.

To Lee Min Young (Amy) : You have a big heart that jumps right out in front of everyone. Be cold, and you lose the friends you have. Keep it warm, and they keep you close to their hearts too.

To Lee Juhyun (Lina) : You have the ability to be selfless, to extend help to others when you can. That is simply great, and that will not change even if at times it is us who ask help from others.

To Jang Minwoo (KJ) : You are the voice of the class. That comes with a heavy responsibility that we only utter what is truth and what benefits the majority. You are a great and responsible leader when you want to become one. You rock, but try not to live up to your English name’s meaning. J 

To Choi Taewon (John) : You are rarely heard. Everyone needs to be heard. Muster the courage, and speak up for yourself. It will be of great help as we grow up.

To Hwang Seungvin (Sean) : You are exceptionally disciplined in mind and soul. You will reach greater heights for as long as you keep a humble spirit.

To Lee Ji Young (Jenny) : You are as beautiful as your soul. You are very kind, and you shall forever remain as sweet.

To Hong Ye Lim (Yvette) : You are very respectful. Keep it that way. Do not lose whatever additional values you have learned from the local school. You have such a warm heart too because of that.

To teacher Han Haejin : Thank you for being very nice and beautiful everyday. You are a perfect adviser for the loveable and charming Grade 9 class.









To Grade 9 : Thank you for the respect you gave me. I know I got you scared at times, but know that mine is just a tough love to make sure everybody gets the discipline and learning I yearn for you to have. I will miss you next semester, and be good to your next E-Math teacher. I love you all.



To KISP : Thank you for the opportunity to be closer to Grade 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment